There are several ways in which you can join the Washington State Historical Society's team.
If you are interested in a paid part-time or full-time position, go to careers.wa.gov.
HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT
Salary: $36,372.00 - $47,376.00 Annually
Location: Pierce County – Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Washington State Historical Society
Job Number: 2019-04777
The Human Resource Consultant Assistannt 2 provides direct support to the Director of Human Resources & Administration (DHRA).
The position is the first point of contact to provide professional, responsible, competent, compassionate customer service. Responsible to prioritize, plan, coordinate and implement the work assigned, requesting input from the DHRA when necessary. This position also provides technical assistance in the areas of contracts/procurement, public records, archives, and other areas as needed.
Human Resources Technical and Customer Support
- Verify incoming personnel requests to ensure accuracy and completeness of information from supervisors and managers.
- Contact new employees with information for verifying employment eligibility, job specific date after processing, and required training.
- Verify eligibility for employment on or before date of hire on Form I-9 in compliance with federal rules and regulations.
- Conduct New Employee orientation, ensuring that presentations include details on all pertinent Human Resources policies and procedures. Process all employee information to bring them into pay status and assist with the completion of new hire forms.
- Process timely and accurately personnel/payroll actions utilizing HRMS to code and key information, calculate and key date adjustments, prepare reports as requested/required, monitor future actions to be captured (probationary, trial service, PID increases, etc.).
- Generate and maintaining content of file systems to include Personnel, Payroll, Grievance, Administrative and Position files.
- Create/maintain databases and employee data in state LMS system.
- Enroll employees for training in LMS system as needed or required according to WAC and agency policy.
- Assist supervisors and managers with all hiring requirements under the WFSE collective bargaining agreement and/or agency policies regarding recruitment.
- Post employment opportunities in NEOGOV.
- Answer questions from applicants on process and specifics related to the position posted.
- Monitor application submittals within NEOGOV, reporting to the hiring supervisor/manager status.
- Schedule recruitment panel in OUTLOOK and process self-scheduling of applicants for interview in NEOGOV.
- Create recruitment panel packets with applications, interview questions, position description, org chart, and job posting of position.
- Respond to requests for information from supervisors, employees, professional agencies and the public, in person, via telephone, and email, in compliance with Collective Bargaining Agreement, agency policies and procedures, state and federal laws.
- Assist employees with employment related problems, providing customer service to walk-ins and through email and telephone inquiries. Identify issues and suggest solutions, referring more complex issues to the DHRA.
- Assist with Family Medical Leave (FML) issues, distribute FML notifications and track all data in appropriate location.
- Attend various HR and PPA meetings as necessary.
Technical and Customer Support
- Assist Contract Managers with completion of contract filing face sheets.
- Explain process to be completed when conducting Sole Source, RFP, RFQ, and RFQQ competitive processes.
- Maintain database of contract logs, contract reporting and records retention process/storage of fully executed contracts.
- Create and maintain a public records request log.
- Process requests as required by state statute.
- Work with WSHS staff to ensure all records are collected, redacted and supplied to the requestor in a timely manner and by state statute.
- Become familiar with Washington State's general records retention schedule and determining WSHS's organizational records to be stored at the WSHS Research Center (RC).
- Answer inquiries from staff regarding records retention schedules and destruction.
- Coordinate on-site shredding for records destruction as needed per the general records retention schedule.
- Answer inquiries regarding what items should be sent to surplus and how to make requests.
- Manage scheduling calendar in Microsoft Outlook, providing meeting support and general administrative support daily.
- Four years of office experience including two years of experience in human resources or related setting OR equivalent education/experience.
- Must respect and maintain confidentiality
- Proficiency in Human Resources Management System (HRMS), NEOGOV, and PAY1.
- Familiarity with WFSE Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Strong computer application skills and proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload in an environment with multiple, shifting priorities and interruptions.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with co-workers, the public, and/or other agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and solve problems under highly stressful situations.
The mission of WSHS – Washington State Historical Society partners with communities to explore how history connects us all.For additional information about WSHS, please visit washingtonhistory.org.
Foster a positive attitude and openness toward the ever changing social and cultural makeup of the workplace. Work effectively with people of different perspectives, abilities, disabilities, races, religions, ages, lifestyle preferences and social, ethnic and cultural backgrounds. Respectfully acknowledge people's differences and recognize these differences as important and valuable. Promote inclusiveness. Be culturally sensitive and appropriate. Respect and value diverse backgrounds and traditions.
Attach to your application a letter of interest explaining how you meet the qualifications of this position and a resume. If you are unable to attach your resume and/or letter of interest, you may inset them into the "resume text" section of the application.
Include three professional references in the "references" section of the application or include them in your resume.
Please carefully follow the above instructions. We are looking for evidence in your application materials that you have the education, experience, skills, and abilities indicated in this job posting, so be sure to attach or insert your letter of interest and resume. The information you provide will be used as a basis for deciding who will be selected for the next step in the process.
Failure to provide this information may result in your application not being considered for this position.
Students interested in obtaining an internship must complete the Internship Inquiry.
Washington State Employment
For other Washington State employment opportunities, go to careers.wa.gov.
The Washington State Historical Society is a non-profit 501(c)3 membership organization, open to any and all individuals, families, or firms. The Historical Society is also recongnized in statute (RCW 27.34) as a trustee agency of the State of Washington with enumerated powers.