The Roy M. Chatters Newspaper & Printing
Museum, located on Main Street in the restored
Collard Building in downtown Palouse, Washington, houses historic printing equipment and archives of Whitman County newspapers dating back to the 1880’s, as well historical items from the area. Roy M. Chatters was a retired nuclear engineer from Washington State University who began a quest to collect antique printing equipment with the dream of setting up a working museum. The museum was open for 20 years, until the flood of 1996 caused extensive damage to the wooden floor, and it was closed for safety reasons. Thanks in part to a Heritage Capital Projects grant from the Washington State Historical Society, Dr. Chatters’ dream of sharing his love of printing machines lives on in downtown Palouse.
Kettle Falls Historical Center
Opened in 1980, the Kettle Falls Historical Center interprets the Kettle Falls fishery, one of the most important historical sites in the Western United States, as well as other historical sites, including the historic St. Paul’s Mission, Fort Colville and the expeditions into this region by legendary trapper and explorer David Thompson. The Kettle Falls Historical Center believes the 9,000-year history of the Kettle Falls area must be preserved. Thanks in part to a Heritage Capital Projects grant from the Washington State Historical Society, the organization continues to serve community residents and visitors through educational and recreational programs and exhibits, and the nurturing of cultural activities which reflect their focus.
Loon Lake Schoolhouse
This brick split-entry building was built in 1929 at a cost of $8,000. There were two classrooms, one for grades 1-4 and one for grades 5-8. There was one teacher for each of the four grades. Downstairs was a lunch room and multipurpose room while the stage was used for programs and for community events. The Loon Lake Historical Society purchased the Old Schoolhouse from the Loon Lake School District in 1992, when the new Loon Lake school was completed. A dedicated group of volunteers have restored the building and brought it up to present day codes and standards. Thanks in part to a Heritage Capital Projects grant from the Washington State Historical Society, the building retains the original look and feel of a school built in the 1920’s.
Corbin Art Center
Corbin Art Center is housed in the historic D.C. Corbin House located in the Marycliff-Cliff Park Historic District, an area rich in early-Spokane history and architecture. The house was designed for Daniel Chase Corbin by his former son-in-law Kirtland Cutter and completed in 1898. A significant historic landmark for its affiliation with the original owner and prominent architect, the house was placed on the Spokane Register of Historic Places in 1997 and the Washington Heritage Register and National Register of Historic Places in 2004. Thanks in part to a Heritage Capital Projects grant from the Washington State Historical Society, the site now provides for year-round cultural programs and services in the Spokane community and the Northwest region.
Smith Hollow School
Organized in 1875, Smith Hollow school received its first building in 1900. The one-room schoolhouse that once served students in first through eighth grade in rural Columbia County in the early 20th century eventually fell into disrepair and was closed in 1933. In 2010, the school was renovated by the Blue Mountain Heritage Society and moved into downtown Dayton, where it now serves as a museum. Thanks in part to a Heritage Capital Projects grant from the Washington State Historical Society, the Smith Hollow School can showcase some of the history of education in Columbia county.