When Fort Nisqually was established in 1833, the land was jointly occupied by Americans and British of the Hudson's Bay Company. Thirteen years later, in 1846, a treaty left Fort Nisqually on American soil.
With fur trade profits declining, increasing competition from American settlers, and mounting harassment from American revenue agents and tax collectors, Fort Nisqually was finally closed in 1869.
In 1933, major efforts were undertaken to preserve the fort's few remaining structures and relocate them at Tacoma's Point Defiance Park. Thanks in part to a Heritage Capital Projects grant from the Washington State Historical Society, the Fort Nisqually Living History Museum continues to give visitors a glimpse of the Pacific Northwest’s past.
The original commercial steamship wharf, a well-known maritime landmark in the Pacific Northwest, was built by Sam Percival in 1860. It provided access for the steamboats collectively called the Mosquito Fleet that used the Sound as a watery freeway to move mail, products and passengers.
The Mosquito Fleet era ended as customers switched their allegiance to cars and paved highways and traditional steamers became obsolete. In 2004, a study of the structural condition of Percival Landing revealed that if nothing was done, the entire facility would need to be closed, resulting in the loss of a treasured recreational area and waterfront access.
Thanks in part to a Heritage Capital Projects grant from the Washington State Historical Society, it continues to hold historical and cultural significance to the community as well as contribute to the area’s economic vitality.
Hearing of good land in the Snoqualmie Valley, Jeremiah Borst, a young adventurer and trader, hiked up the Cedar River and into the valley in 1858, finding what he thought was a vast natural prairie ideal for farming.
In 1882, Borst sold much of his property to the Hop Growers Association, which sold it to a Seattle dairy farmer in 1904. In the 1960s, the farm was sold to the Snoqualmie Valley Land Company, a group of local investors, who finally sold the land into public ownership by the Cities of Snoqualmie and North Bend in 1996.
Thanks in part to a Heritage Capital Projects grant from the Washington State Historical Society, the farm constructed an interpretive center to help educate visitors about the farm’s legacy in the Snoqualmie Valley.
Northwest African American Museum
Dedicated to spreading knowledge, understanding and enjoyment of the histories, arts and cultures of people of African descent for the enrichment of all, the Northwest African American Museum accomplishes its mission by working with others to present and preserve the connections between the Pacific Northwest and people of African descent and to investigate and celebrate Black experiences in America through exhibitions, programs and events.
Thanks in part to a Heritage Capital Projects grant from the Washington State Historical Society, the Northwest African American Museum continues to foster lifelong learning opportunities for all ages through a variety of multidisciplinary programs centered around its exhibitions.
Vashon-Maury Island Heritage Museum
The Vashon-Maury Island Heritage Museum is located at 10105 Bank Road in the town of Vashon. The building was originally a Lutheran Church built in 1907 and subsequently used as the home for Vashon Allied Arts and the Vashon Children's Centre. The Museum houses a permanent exhibit, periodic special exhibits, a History Resource Room, and an extensive archive of island photographs and other materials.
The mission of the Vashon-Maury Island Heritage Association shall be to collect, preserve, interpret and exhibit materials reflecting the unique history and culture of Vashon-Maury Island and to serve as a resource for the community and region through educational programs, the collection of documents and data, and the operation of the Vashon-Maury Island Heritage Museum.