American Association of University Women
The history of the AAUW stretches back to 1881. On January 27, 1927, a group of women of Washington state, at the invitation of the then AAUW Cowlitz County Branch, gathered in Longview to form a Washington Division of AAUW. The movement to form a state organization was born from the suggestion of the national organization because Washington already had more than ten active branches by 1927.
Two branches opted not to join the drive to form a state division. The Montesano Branch, being very small, joined Grays Harbor and a Pacific County Branch simply ceased to exist. The Conference was held for the purpose of forming the state organization. The headquarters were the Monticello Hotel. The two-day conference was held in the Assembly Room of the Longview Public Library. Several members of Oregon State Division attended, as did Dr. Aurelia Henry Reinhardt, National President of AAUW.
AAUW of Washington: Sparkling with Spirit
Digital publication discussing the Washington's AAUW branches and some of the women instrumental in Washington's commitment and contribution to the AAUW as a state.
Women of Washington: Women's Involvement in Community Concern
A brief overview of numerous members of the AAUW active in Washington state.