Search
Menu
Print

Capsule History of General Federation of Women's Clubs

The General Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC) -- the world's largest and oldest nonpartisan, nondemoninational volunteer service organization for women - was founded in 1890.

GFWC traces its roots back to Jane Cunningham Croly, an accomplished New York newspaperwoman, who wrote under the pen name Jennie June. Indignant that she and other women were denied admittance to a banquet honoring Charles Dickens in 1868 at the all-male New York Press Club simply because they were women, she determined to organize a club for women only. The name chosen for this club was Sorosis, a Greek word meaning "An aggregation, a sweet flavor of many fruits." More...