Washington State University
A Century of Women's Athletics
WSC baseball team, circa 1925.
The collection contains over 350 digitized photographs, postcards, book illustrations, and certificates documenting women's athletics at Washington State University from 1899-2000.
Read Sue Durrant's oral history
Watch WSU video on women in athletics
Faith Beamer Cooke Collection
Faith Beamer Cooke.
Poet Faith Elinor Beamer Cooke (1910-2001) spent the majority of her life in Washington. The collection consists of Cooke’s poetry, correspondence, photographs, newspaper articles, and her personal research, illustrating her life, work, and efforts as a poet, intellectual, and advocate of the liberal arts in Richland, Washington. The collection includes Cooke’s published and unpublished poetry spanning over seven decades, 1934-1998, and other evidence of her contribution to poetry, culture, and the arts in the Pacific Northwest. The collection is intended to illuminate a little known aspect of women’s history and identity in Cold War America.
Catherine May Congressional Papers, 1959-1970
Native American Women from the Lucullus V. McWhorter Photograph Collection
Mourning Dove, 1915.
Washington State Women's History Selections, 1870-1950
PhysEd bulletin, State College of Washington, 1936.
Women at Washington State University
Women's rifle team, undated.
This collection was established in 2009 with over 1,400 images selected from Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections. It includes photographs, newspaper clippings, scrapbook items, and printed ephemera. Women from Washington State University and the surrounding community are the primary focus, including women students in the military, theater and dance, home economics, sororities, clubs, and other organizations. The collection also includes women in administrative and faculty positions at WSU, for example, faculty members Sue Durrant, who was a plaintiff in a 1978 court case arguing for equal opportunities for female athletes under Title IX, and Ruth Slonim, a poet and long-time WSU English professor.
NEH Grant Projects:
The Women of the West Oral Histories Collection, the Intercollegiate Center for Nursing and Education papers, and the Hilda Roberts Collection were funded through a National Endowment for the Humanities "We the People" grant for Washington Women's History to the Washington Women's History Consortium, a part of the Washington State Historical Society. Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this website do not necessarily reflect those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Women in the West Oral Histories Collection
Intercollegiate Center for Nursing and Education and Hilda Roberts Papers
Physical Education (Womens) Records 1973-1981
Womens' Resource and Research Center Survey 1987
Womens’ Recreation Association Papers 1938-1968
- American Association of University Women, Pullman Branch Records, 1933-1976
- Betty Lou Anderson Diaries, 1938-1949
- Susan Armitage Papers, 1899-2008
- Associated Women Students of Washington State University Records, 1954-1986
- Association for Faculty Women Papers, 1972-1993
- Association for Women Veterinarians Records, 1945-2003
- Black Oral History Interviews, 1972-1974
- Dairy Wives of Washington State Scrapbooks, 1953-1979
- Sue M. Durrant Papers, 1956-2006
- League of Women Voters, Pullman Records, 1941-1992
- League of Women Voters, Pullman Records, 1950-1980
- Mechanical Engineering Wives' Club Records, 1960-1973
- National Organization for Women, Pullman Chapter Papers, 1973-1995
- Physical Education (Womens) Records, 1973-1981
- Pullman Business and Professional Women's Club Records, 1924-1983
- Pullman Federated Women's Club Records, 1914-1981
- Pullman Fortnightly Club Records, 1893-1996
- Pullman Investment Club Records, 1968-1981
- Ruth Slonim Papers, circa 1900-2000
- Georgina P. Tucker Papers, 1920-1997
- Washington Dairy Women Records, 1980-1983
- Women in Communication, Inc. Records, 1925-1992
- Washington State University Women's Club Papers, 1913-1995
- Women Studies Program Records, 1980-1983
- Washington Women for the Survival of Agriculture Records, 1973-1980
- Washington Women United Records, 1975-1986
- Women's Physical Education Department Records, 1983-1976
- Womens’ Recreation Association Papers, 1938-1968
- Womens' Resource & Research Center Survey, 1987
- Young Women's Christian Association Records, 1906-1980
Manuscripts, Archives & Special Collections
Washington State University
Holland and Terrell Libraries
PO Box 645610
Pullman, WA 99164-5610