Summer Youth Docent Program
Have a blast in the past this summer! Join the Youth Docent Program at the Washington State History Museum.
July 24 - August 24, 2018, for youth entering grades 8-11.
“We are not makers of history. We are made by history.” - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
See Tacoma Report's 2017 interview with Youth Docents at the History Museum, here.
Immerse yourself in the world of the History Museum this summer! You’ll go behind the scenes and discover how exhibits are created. You’ll delve into Washington state history. You’ll welcome visitors and share information about artifacts. But you’ll take away much more than that. You’ll learn valuable life skills:
- Gain volunteer experience to prepare you for your first, or next job.
- Develop the art of working with others: supervisors, team members, and the general public.
- Strengthen your research abilities.
- Receive direct mentoring from experienced museum professionals.
- Upon successful graduation from the program, you will be eligible to apply for regular volunteering opportunities for the Washington State History Museum.
Time Commitment: Minimum 42 hrs. (26 hours training, 16 hours volunteer service)
- Part One: Mandatory Orientation and Training, 3 days: July 24‐26
- Part Two: Weekly training and volunteer shifts: 8‐10 hours/week
Schedule: Two days per week, commencing Tuesday, July 31. Each week will include one training day and one volunteer shift. One of your volunteer shifts will be for a Special Event. Limited absences for family vacation is permitted, with supervisor’s prior permission.
Eligibility: Open to youth entering school grades 8, 9, 10, or 11 in Fall, 2018.*
*The Washington State Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates,
regardless of sex, ethnicity, disability, age, sexual orientation, or veteran status are encouraged to
Cost: There is a program fee of $45.00 to partially cover the direct cost of program activities and supplies. Fee waivers are available, based on financial need. The Washington State Historical Society covers all staff
and facility costs, plus a percentage of the direct cost of activities and supplies.
- Please submit a Program Application
- Provide parent/guardian's written permission to participate in the program
- All accepted applicants will be required to pass a WSHS background check.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 22, 2018. Applications must be postmarked no later than June 29, 2018. Space is limited. Apply early. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis from May 5 through June 29.
Are you looking for academic credit or community service?
These are options that must be arranged directly with your school. Be sure and arrange this BEFORE the
start of your program.
- ACADEMIC CREDIT: If your school permits academic credit for extra‐curricular activities, we will be happy to provide a program description and verify your participation in our program, when completed. You are responsible for any paperwork/permissions required by your school.
- COMMUNITY SERVICE: We will be happy to verify your participation and hours served, when completed.