COVID-19 Response at WSHS
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Washington State Historical Society has decided to temporarily close the State Hisotry Museum and the Research Center to visitors. The buildings will remain closed until further notice, as we continue to follow recommendations from healthcare authorities and the Office of the Governor.
Staff are available by phone and email. (See contact information here.)
If you're a museum or heritage organization looking for resources, click here.
WSHS Closure, Program Cancelations and Schedule: Based on current guidelines and our commitment to the community, WSHS is implementing the following plan:
- As of 5:00 PM, March 12, the State History Museum is closing to the public for the time being. Our museum is a place of experiential learning, full of interactive exhibits and touchable objects. We would not serve our visitors with a "please don't touch" approach. Our goal is to bring visitors together for meaningful conversation, not remind them to stay six feet apart.
- The State Research Center is also closed to the public for the time being.
- School field trips have been candeled for March and April. We will re-evaluate during the week of April 20 and post an update here.
- Public programs have been canceled for March.
- We have paused new field trip reservations and facility rentals for private events during March and April.
Our Thanks: We are grateful to our program partners, teachers and constituents for supporting these decisions, and we look forward to continuing to engage our communities once we've safely moved past the coronavirus outbreak.
Our heartfelt thanks to all of the healthcare professionals in Washington and beyond who are aiding the ill, working toward containment, and alleviating concerns. Our thoughts and caring extend to those who are suffering as a result of this outbreak.
What You Can Do: We can all help by following the CDC's steps to prevent illness.
We'll continue to monitor the latest developments and recommendations. Please check our website for updates related to WSHS operations.
With you, we look toward a time when the coronavirus event will be history.