TOYTOPIA - Opening February 16, on view through June 10, 2018.
TOYTOPIA is sure to rekindle the wonder and delight of your favorite childhood moments.
Come play in a world of big toys!
What was your favorite childhood toy? A jump rope, a board game, or Space Invaders? Or was it an Easy Bake Oven or a Slinky? You’re sure to find your favorite toys in TOYTOPIA, opening February 16 and running through June 10, 2018. This exhibition is huge, both in terms of layout and contents. The museum’s expansive fifth floor galleries will become a magical land of big toys where you can play all day with the world’s largest Etch A Sketch, a life-size doll house, a human-scale Monopoly car, and much more.
“Our goal was to capture the essence of childhood wonder; that dream of being in a world of toys,” explained Troy Carlson, owner of Stage Nine Entertainment Group who created the exhibition.
These toys aren’t just for kids, though. Looking for a date night? Check out Press Play, the museum’s latest History After Hours program for ages 21+ on the eve of February 22. Enjoy craft brew and a chance to revisit your childhood. The Children’s Museum of Tacoma offers child care that night, just a short walk from the History Museum.
TOYTOPIA highlights include:
- World’s largest Etch A Sketch, close to 8’ tall
- Retro Arcade Area with working games to play
- A life-size Doll House
- A life-size Monopoly car and game board; sit inside for a unique photo opportunity!
- Two memorable toys from the movie Big: the giant piano keyboard that star Tom Hanks played on, and Zoltar Speaks, the carnival arcade fortune teller machine
- LEGO® wall and play area
- LEGO® train layout with a fanciful electric train running through an inventive LEGO® landscape
- A signature Jack in The Box exploring the science of toys, from Furby® to radiometers
- Historic Schylling Tin Toys – see how toys are created out of simple sheets of tin
- Keva Planks, Lincoln Logs and Brain Teasers play areas.