COLUMBIA: The Magazine of Northwest History features fascinating articles by writers and scholars on a wide variety of Pacific Northwest history topics, and is richly illustrated with historic photographs, maps, documents, and more. The Washington State Historical Society has published this award-winning journal since 1987. For on-the-go Washington history media, listen to dialogues between historians and researchers in the COLUMBIA Conversations podcast.
Are you a scholar or public historian interested in publishing in COLUMBIA? We want to hear from you! Reach out to us with your ideas and inquiries. Scroll down for more information.
Read COLUMBIA and connect the past with the present. Explore relationships between local history and regional or national events. Stay up-to-date with heritage happenings in the Evergreen State. Find reviews of recent and historic books, films, and other media. Enjoy beautiful images of historical photographs, artifacts, maps, ephemera, and more.
- WSHS members receive COLUMBIA free as a member benefit, mailed to their homes four times a year!
- COLUMBIA Magazine subscriptions are available, and make a great gift for the history lovers in your life.
- Purchase individual issues published during the past two years; email us with your request.
- Download PDFs of issues published prior to two years ago; available here.
- Heritage organizations: Would your members enjoy reading COLUMBIA? You can carry our magazine in your shop or for your members. Email to find out more.
- Reader comments and subscriber address updates: We want to hear from you! Email COLUMBIA here.
COLUMBIA received a Board Award of Excellence from the Washington Museum Association in 2015 and a Leadership in History Award of Merit from the American Association for State and Local History in 2016.