Two more days added: Join us Jan. 8 & 9 for Model Train Festival
Take your family and friends on a magical journey through the marvelously detailed world of model trains at the Washington State History Museum!
The Model Train Festival has been EXTENDED and will run this weekend ONLY, Saturday January 8 and Sunday January 9 (the train festival will not be running during the week).Book your timed tickets today!
The Model Train Festival brings railroad clubs from around Puget Sound to share their incredible layouts. Every floor of the museum comes alive with trains, from the Kitsap Live Steamers 7.5 inch gauge railroad engines to the Mount Rainier N-Scale layout featuring miniature scenery of Western Washington and so many more. Plus, the largest permanent model train layout in Washington is always on display at the museum on the fifth floor, operated by Puget Sound Model Railroad Engineers. Train operators will be on hand for questions and conversations.
This joyful event wouldn’t be complete without a holiday photo opportunity! Although Santa will not be able to visit this year (being conscientious about COVID safety), we will have a festive seasonal photo backdrop for free selfies.
And you’ll be excited to know that the WSHS mascot, Seymour History, will make guest appearances – here’s their schedule!
- December 18, Saturday, Member Night: 6-7 PM
- December 19, Sunday, 11 AM-noon and 2-3 PM
- December 22, Wednesday, 11 AM-noon and 2-3 PM
- December 28, Tuesday, 11 AM-noon and 2-3 PM
It’s a great time to become a member because WSHS members can enjoy the Model Train Festival for FREE! Not a member yet? Find out more! Members are also invited to a very special members-only night on December 18 to see the train layouts, talk with the train clubs, and receive a commemorative 25th Annual Model Train Festival gift as well as an interactive craft project that will spark conversation.
Museum occupancy will be limited during the Model Train Festival. Visitors for Model Train Festival are encouraged to purchase timed tickets in advance to guarantee a spot. Tickets will be also be sold at the museum admissions desk as capacity allows. Book your tickets in advance and experience the magic of the Model Train Festival!
Purchase Timed Tickets for Model Train Festival
- WSHS members get free admission to Model Train Festival but still need to book a time. Use the “sign-in” function at the top right of the ticketing page to get the $0 member price; contact email@example.com if you need assistance signing in as a member.
- Not a WSHS member? Book general admission timed tickets ($11-$14, ages 5 and under free) to guarantee your spot!
- Note: Outside discounts and library passes are not valid during Model Train Festival.
Our thanks: WSHS exhibitions and programs are generously supported by Columbia Bank, Humanities Washington, KNKX, The Murdock Foundation, the Port of Tacoma, and our members.