Moth trap, 1920-1929. It consists of a deep amber-colored, inverted glass cone with metal wire hanger attached through holes on both sides of wide, upper end of cone. Glass has manufacturing imperfections but appears to be in perfect condition except where wire is attached. Hanger appears to be homemade. Made by E.F. Clipp, 1920-1929. "Klip Kup"/"Patent Apld. for" in raised letters on lip of cone. Moth traps or"hootch pots" first appeared in orchards in late 1920s in effort to rid marketplace of wormy apples. Early versions of hootch pots were 1-lb. coffee cans hung from tree limbs and baited with sticky apple syrup or a molasses and bran mixture. The number of trapped codling moths provided an accurate method for setting effective spray dates. Knowing when to spray cut the previous six or more sprayings to three and lessened the problem of arsenic of lead residue. E. F. Clipp of Wenatchee and A. H. Murray of Cashmere were to first to experimentally use hootch pots in their orchards. This pot, named the "Klip-Kup," was E. F. Clipp's improved version of coffee can trap. The use of hootch pots and arsenic of lead poison gradually ceased after 1947 when DDT became available. This codling moth trap was filled with kerosene which was lit to attract the moths. The moths would fall into the kerosene and die.
Creation Date: 1920-1929
Catalog ID: 1994.64.1
Object Types: trap, moth
Dimensions: Length 8.25 in . Overall length 19.25 in . Diameter 8 in . Weight 2 pound
Image Order Form
Submit the following form to order digital files for images, media, and other licensed materials. For assistance, contact the Research Center.