The Washington State History Museum is open for visitors Tuesday through Sunday, 10:00 AM-5:00 PM. All visitors ages 5 and above are required to wear masks while in the museum. Close
  • + Add to your list
    [souvenir spoon]
    Creation Date: ca. 1900
    Catalog ID: 2018.73.5
    Demitasse size size souvenir spoon, made by Joseph Mayer & Bros., ca. 1900. The three-dimensional, figural spoon is made of sterling silver with gold wash on front and back of bowl. Engraved on the bowl is an illustration of Mt. Rainier. Name , elevation of 14,444 ft is engraved above and name Seattle is below. The stem is slightly curved and is a three dimensional figure of a miner with a mining pan. Inscribed at lower end: Lucky / Strike. the back shows the back of the miner. On lower end is maker's mark of a triangle with a fleur-de-lis at center and word "Sterling." The donor's family said the silver souvenir spoons were given to seamen as mementos at the end of a voyage. The men then traded them to the donor's grandather for drinks at the bar, the Oxford Bar, located on the southwestern corner of Fourth Avenue and Pike Street in Seattle, WA. The bar was managed by William Deitchler and Otto Tietjens, beginning in about 1897.
  • + Add to your list
    [Northern Pacific Depot, Olympia, with Northern Express Car]
    Creation Date: ca. 1914
    Catalog ID: 2010.149.42.2
    Photograph of a train depot, the Northern Pacific Railway in Olympia, WA, Thurston County, at Columbia Street. It is a long, one story clapboard building. We are viewing the southern end of the depot. A cart or car covered with canvas is parked on the end of the platform, with the words Northern Express/Northern Pacific Ry. painted on it. A Northern Pacific car or engine with the words Northern Pacific 35371 painted on it is visible behind the station. On the platform to the left of the image can be seen dollies and other railroad paraphernalia. Eight men stand at the near end of the platform facing the photographer. From left to right: a young man in overcoat, suit, and hat; two men in working clothes and caps; a man in a suit and hat; a man in overalls and jacket; a man in shirtsleeves and a tie; a man in vest and bowler hat, and a young man in trousers and sweater and tall boots. This is the same building catalogued as 2010.149.5.2. An almost identical photo, in better condition, is catalogued at 2010.149.31.2. Robert Esterly, photographer
  • + Add to your list
    [Walla Walla Valley Railway car #103, Seattle Chamber of Commerce trip]
    Creation Date: ca. 1910
    Catalog ID: 1943.42.25558
    Call Number: 1943.42.25558
    Black and white glass plate negative taken in Walla Walla, WA circa 1910. The image shows men from the Seattle Chamber of Commerce aboard an open car of the Walla Walla Valley Railway. A closed car with the number "103" and "Walla Walla Valley Railway Co." is to the left. Four men stand on the street in front of the open car while several other men are visible on the sidewalk to the right. A newsboy wearing a cap, white shirt, dark knee-length pants and carrying a bag on his shoulder stands on the side rail of the open car. Several men onboard the car or nearby are reading or holding newspapers. A sign over the streetcar reads: Cars Leave Here Every 12 Minutes. To and including 8:10 pm. Thence every 20 minutes to and including 11:10 pm. Last car leaves 11:50 pm. Asahel Curtis
  • + Add to your list
    [Olympia Garage Co.]
    Creation Date: ca. 1914
    Catalog ID: 2010.149.9.2
    Photograph of the Olympia Garage Co, Corner 5th & Columbia, Olympia, WA, Thurston County. It is a long, one story building. An automobile is visible behind a wide display window which is partly obscured by sliding doors. There is a wide open bay between display windows. Over the windows and doorways are painted signs reading "Cadillac Cars, Garage, White Trucks, Autos, Olympia, For Hire." In front of the building are two automobiles, one smaller roadster with an open top, and one touring car with a canvas top. Six men are with the vehicles. Two are in the roadster and wear workig clothes and caps. A third man in working clothes stands between the two cars. The other three are standing next to or leaning on the touring car. Two are in working clothes and the last is in a shirt and tie, with his hands in his pockets. On the sidewalk are a fire hydrant and a bench. The street is paved with bricks. Robert Esterly, photographer
  • + Add to your list
    [Northern Pacific Depot, Olympia, with Northern Express Car]
    Creation Date: ca. 1914
    Catalog ID: 2010.149.31.2
    Photograph of a train depot, the Northern Pacific Railway in Olympia, WA, Thurston County, at Columbia Street. It is a long, one story clapboard building. We are viewing the southern end of the depot. A cart or car covered with canvas is parked on the end of the platform, with the words Northern Express/Northern Pacific Ry. painted on it. A Northern Pacific car or engine with the words Northern Pacific 35371 painted on it is visible behind the station. On the platform to the left of the image can be seen dollies and other railroad paraphernalia. Eight men stand at the near end of the platform facing the photographer. From left to right: a young man in overcoat, suit, and hat; two men in working clothes and caps; a man in a suit and hat; a man in overalls and jacket; a man in shirtsleeves and a tie; a man in vest and bowler hat, and a young man in trousers and sweater and tall boots. This is the same building catalogued as 2010.149.5.2. This photo is almost identical to 2010.149.42.2. Robert Esterly, photographer
  • + Add to your list
    [Interurban Railroad Cars on Occidental Avenue, Seattle]
    Creation Date: ca. 1908
    Catalog ID: 1943.42.10726
    Call Number: 1943.42.10726
    Black and white glass plate negative image of an Seattle-Tacoma Interurban Railroad car on Occidental Avenue, Seattle, King County, WA, viewed from an unidentified cross street in the foreground, ca. 1908. Sign on front of car: Tacoma, Parlor Car. Several male and female pedestrians are on the sidewalks. Sign on corner building in shadow in image left: Sanipure Milk. Business signs on buildings behind the railroad car on Occidental Avenue, from left to right: The Outlet Clothing Co. Inc.; The J & H, Jennings & Hoffman, a saloon, no. 117; Dr. Lebis or Lebig; Harness and Saddlery; Seattle Market, Frye-Bruhn Co., E. Bruhn Co.; Yesler Cafe, Restaurant & Bakery, no. 107; Globe Medical Company, Entrance 115 Yesler Way, Globe Medical Institute. A billboard sign for Coca Cola, down by Foster & Kleiser, Inc., is above the cafe and market. Asahel Curtis
  • + Add to your list
    Pioneer Bldg.
    Creation Date: Mar. 19, 1902
    Catalog ID: 1943.42.1134
    Call Number: 1943.42.1134
    Black and white glass plate negative taken March 19, 1902 in Seattle, WA. The image shows the exterior of the Pioneer Building located at the corner of 1st and Yesler. The multi-storied stone building houses several businesses. On the ground floor, from left to right, are: Pioneer Liquor Co., an Alaskan ticketing agent, Goldberg Bros. Cigar Company and Puget Sound National Bank. The upper floors house several law offices, insurance companies and the Stanley Electric Manufacturing Co. The building just to the left houses the New York Dental Parlors. The building on the far left houses Lowman & Hanford Stationery and Printing Company. A small grassy square in front of the building has street lamps on each corner and a totem pole on the left. Men and women are visible on the streets and sidewalks. A horse-drawn delivery wagon passes in front of the Pioneer Building. Trolley tracks run along Yesler and First Ave. Asahel Curtis
  • + Add to your list
    [National Park Highway Association Expedition, Seattle]
    Creation Date: Jun. 20, 1916
    Catalog ID: 1943.42.34827
    Call Number: 1943.42.34827
    Black and white glass plate negative image of 6 men sitting in 2 Mitchell Six automobiles, participants in the National Parks Highway Association expedition, which are parked on a Seattle, King County, WA, street, June 20, 1016. Printed on sides of the cars: Chicago-Twin Cities-Spokane-Seattle-Tacoma; National Parks Highway; A Good Road-Good Accommodations-Unsurpassed Scenery; Yellowtone, Glacier, Rainier, National Parks; See America First; Mid-Year Mitchell Six, Official Car. Several men and 2 boys stand on the sidewalk looking at the cars. A horse-team drawn carriage, possibly driven by an African American man in a uniform, is parked behind the cars. A business sign over a store front in image right: Price's Book Store. The National Parks Highway Association expedition left Chicago on June 4, 1916 in two Mitchell Six automobiles, and ended in Tacoma on July 7, 1916. Asahel Curtis/Curtis & Miller.
  • + Add to your list
    [Starr-Boyd Building, 619 1/2 First Avenue, Seattle]
    Creation Date: Apr. 22, 1906
    Catalog ID: 1943.42.90
    Call Number: 1943.42.90
    Black and white glass plate negative image of the Starr-Boyd Building, 619 1/2 First Avenue, at the intersection of Cherry Street, Seattle, King County, WA, Apr. 22, 1906. Elmer Fisher was the architect. Businesses in the building include: The Hub Clothing Co.; A.L. Cohen, Cohen's Corner; Hanson & Co., Billiards; White & Munday, Law Offices; J.G. Leslie & Co., real estate; Van de Vanter-Davis Co.; Willliam C. Keith, law offices; Penn Mutual Life Insurance Co. of Philadelphia; McDonald & Symonds, real estate; Wade Co., tailors; Barnes & Co., patent solicitors; Rogers Investment Co.; Florence Dental Partners. Signs on adjacent building at image right edge: Hotel Wray; Three Point Tree Co. A horse-team drawn carriage, and a horse-team drawn Seattle Transfer Company covered vehicle are in front of the Starr-Boyd Building. Photo by Asahel Curtis.
  • + Add to your list
    Tacoma, Wash. Looking West from W.P. Bonney's Drugstore
    Creation Date: 1891-1893
    Catalog ID: 2012.0.300.33A
    Call Number: 2012.0.300.33A
    Black and white photographic image taken from the roof of William P. Bonney's drugstore, 1142 Pacific Avenue, Tacoma, Pierce County, WA, 1891-93, looking west. Signs on top of building in image left foreground: Pioneer Paint Store, Wallpaper and Mouldings, Paints, Oils, Glass and Varnish. Sign painted on side of building at image right edge: W.H. Robison, New & Second Hand Goods. Sign on building front in image left center: Freeman & Boggs, Livery Hack & Sale Stables, Boarding Horses a Specialty. Business located at 1134-8 South C Street, owned by William A. Freeman and George W. Boggs. Signs on building in distant left background: Sanford & Stone, Dry Goods & Carpets, located at 1115-17 Tacoma Avenue South, owned by Albert H. Sanford and George H. Stone; F.H. Vining & Co., a hardware and stove store at 1131 Tacoma Avenue South, owned by Frank H. Vining.