Washington State History Museum and Research Center are closed until further notice per directives from the Office of the Governor related to COVID-19. Close
  • + Add to your list
    [Northern Pacific Depot, Olympia, with Northern Express Car]
    Creation Date: ca. 1914
    Catalog ID: 2010.149.31.2
    Photograph of a train depot, the Northern Pacific Railway in Olympia, WA, Thurston County, at Columbia Street. It is a long, one story clapboard building. We are viewing the southern end of the depot. A cart or car covered with canvas is parked on the end of the platform, with the words Northern Express/Northern Pacific Ry. painted on it. A Northern Pacific car or engine with the words Northern Pacific 35371 painted on it is visible behind the station. On the platform to the left of the image can be seen dollies and other railroad paraphernalia. Eight men stand at the near end of the platform facing the photographer. From left to right: a young man in overcoat, suit, and hat; two men in working clothes and caps; a man in a suit and hat; a man in overalls and jacket; a man in shirtsleeves and a tie; a man in vest and bowler hat, and a young man in trousers and sweater and tall boots. This is the same building catalogued as 2010.149.5.2. This photo is almost identical to 2010.149.42.2. Robert Esterly, photographer
  • + Add to your list
    [Interurban Railroad Cars on Occidental Avenue, Seattle]
    Creation Date: ca. 1908
    Catalog ID: 1943.42.10726
    Call Number: 1943.42.10726
    Black and white glass plate negative image of an Seattle-Tacoma Interurban Railroad car on Occidental Avenue, Seattle, King County, WA, viewed from an unidentified cross street in the foreground, ca. 1908. Sign on front of car: Tacoma, Parlor Car. Several male and female pedestrians are on the sidewalks. Sign on corner building in shadow in image left: Sanipure Milk. Business signs on buildings behind the railroad car on Occidental Avenue, from left to right: The Outlet Clothing Co. Inc.; The J & H, Jennings & Hoffman, a saloon, no. 117; Dr. Lebis or Lebig; Harness and Saddlery; Seattle Market, Frye-Bruhn Co., E. Bruhn Co.; Yesler Cafe, Restaurant & Bakery, no. 107; Globe Medical Company, Entrance 115 Yesler Way, Globe Medical Institute. A billboard sign for Coca Cola, down by Foster & Kleiser, Inc., is above the cafe and market. Asahel Curtis
  • + Add to your list
    Pioneer Bldg.
    Creation Date: Mar. 19, 1902
    Catalog ID: 1943.42.1134
    Call Number: 1943.42.1134
    Black and white glass plate negative taken March 19, 1902 in Seattle, WA. The image shows the exterior of the Pioneer Building located at the corner of 1st and Yesler. The multi-storied stone building houses several businesses. On the ground floor, from left to right, are: Pioneer Liquor Co., an Alaskan ticketing agent, Goldberg Bros. Cigar Company and Puget Sound National Bank. The upper floors house several law offices, insurance companies and the Stanley Electric Manufacturing Co. The building just to the left houses the New York Dental Parlors. The building on the far left houses Lowman & Hanford Stationery and Printing Company. A small grassy square in front of the building has street lamps on each corner and a totem pole on the left. Men and women are visible on the streets and sidewalks. A horse-drawn delivery wagon passes in front of the Pioneer Building. Trolley tracks run along Yesler and First Ave. Asahel Curtis
  • + Add to your list
    [Starr-Boyd Building, 619 1/2 First Avenue, Seattle]
    Creation Date: Apr. 22, 1906
    Catalog ID: 1943.42.90
    Call Number: 1943.42.90
    Black and white glass plate negative image of the Starr-Boyd Building, 619 1/2 First Avenue, at the intersection of Cherry Street, Seattle, King County, WA, Apr. 22, 1906. Elmer Fisher was the architect. Businesses in the building include: The Hub Clothing Co.; A.L. Cohen, Cohen's Corner; Hanson & Co., Billiards; White & Munday, Law Offices; J.G. Leslie & Co., real estate; Van de Vanter-Davis Co.; Willliam C. Keith, law offices; Penn Mutual Life Insurance Co. of Philadelphia; McDonald & Symonds, real estate; Wade Co., tailors; Barnes & Co., patent solicitors; Rogers Investment Co.; Florence Dental Partners. Signs on adjacent building at image right edge: Hotel Wray; Three Point Tree Co. A horse-team drawn carriage, and a horse-team drawn Seattle Transfer Company covered vehicle are in front of the Starr-Boyd Building. Photo by Asahel Curtis.
  • + Add to your list
    [National Park Highway Association Expedition, Seattle]
    Creation Date: Jun. 20, 1916
    Catalog ID: 1943.42.34827
    Call Number: 1943.42.34827
    Black and white glass plate negative image of 6 men sitting in 2 Mitchell Six automobiles, participants in the National Parks Highway Association expedition, which are parked on a Seattle, King County, WA, street, June 20, 1016. Printed on sides of the cars: Chicago-Twin Cities-Spokane-Seattle-Tacoma; National Parks Highway; A Good Road-Good Accommodations-Unsurpassed Scenery; Yellowtone, Glacier, Rainier, National Parks; See America First; Mid-Year Mitchell Six, Official Car. Several men and 2 boys stand on the sidewalk looking at the cars. A horse-team drawn carriage, possibly driven by an African American man in a uniform, is parked behind the cars. A business sign over a store front in image right: Price's Book Store. The National Parks Highway Association expedition left Chicago on June 4, 1916 in two Mitchell Six automobiles, and ended in Tacoma on July 7, 1916. Asahel Curtis/Curtis & Miller.
  • + Add to your list
    Tacoma, Wash. Looking West from W.P. Bonney's Drugstore
    Creation Date: 1891-1893
    Catalog ID: 2012.0.300.33A
    Call Number: 2012.0.300.33A
    Black and white photographic image taken from the roof of William P. Bonney's drugstore, 1142 Pacific Avenue, Tacoma, Pierce County, WA, 1891-93, looking west. Signs on top of building in image left foreground: Pioneer Paint Store, Wallpaper and Mouldings, Paints, Oils, Glass and Varnish. Sign painted on side of building at image right edge: W.H. Robison, New & Second Hand Goods. Sign on building front in image left center: Freeman & Boggs, Livery Hack & Sale Stables, Boarding Horses a Specialty. Business located at 1134-8 South C Street, owned by William A. Freeman and George W. Boggs. Signs on building in distant left background: Sanford & Stone, Dry Goods & Carpets, located at 1115-17 Tacoma Avenue South, owned by Albert H. Sanford and George H. Stone; F.H. Vining & Co., a hardware and stove store at 1131 Tacoma Avenue South, owned by Frank H. Vining.
  • + Add to your list
    Olympia, Wash. [Gowey Home]
    Creation Date: ca. 1891
    Catalog ID: C1950.3.47
    Photograph, sepia, shows the side of a large 2 1/2 story clapboard home, taken from the hillside above it, and its surroundings. Inscription identifies it as the Gowey Home in Olympia, Thurston County, WA (later residence of Gov. Rogers). The home is painted in two shades, with darker trim. Two stained glass windows are visible on the side. A large covered porch is at the front of the home. Three slender brick chimneys. The yard is bare and fenced. A man with a wheelbarrow is seen in the front yard. The street or alley to the side of the house is unpaved. In the foreground we see a shed and the back of another home, with two wheeled carts in the yard. Behind the home are several buildings and businesses, and in the distance, to the north is Budd Bay. The bridge, with its shops and structures, can be seen, along with the long wharf to deeper water. A steamship is pulling into shore. The right side of the Bay (along East Bay Drive) is forested. John Gowey was a prominent Olympia citizen who died while serving as ambassador to Japan.
  • + Add to your list
    Corner Washington & Calistoga Ave. S., Orting, Wash
    Creation Date: 1910
    Catalog ID: 2017.2.108
    Call Number: 2017.2.108
    Black and white photographic postcard taken in Orting, Pierce County, WA circa 1910. The photograph shows several businesses on the corner of Washington and Calistoga Ave. S. The businesses are, from left to right, Thompson & Callendar Bankers, Boot & Shoes Gents Furnishings and Thompson & Callendar Groceries, Crockery and Glasssware. A wooden sidewalk runs in front of the businesses. The street is unpaved. The bank has two large windows. "Bank" and "Notary Public" are painted on the window to the left and the shade is drawn. A bureau, wooden chair and wicker chair are in the window to the right. An awning extends out over the window of the men's clothing store. Near the ground is an advertisement for Milwaukee Custom Made Shoes. An awning extends over the windows of the grocery store as well. To the left of the door are several crates on a stand. To the right there is another stand with various pieces of crockery and a basket. There are several lanterns visible in the window behind. Next to the grocery, on the right, are a set of stairs and a partially visible business, perhaps a wagon shop. Edward Nolan collection
  • + Add to your list
    [Willard Hotel - Bettman Block, 4th St, Olympia Washington 1910]
    Creation Date: 1910
    Catalog ID: C1980.22.10
    Photograph, sepia, of the Willard Hotel, located in the Bettman Block, Olympia, WA, Thurston County. The foreground is a wide intersection with a torn-up surface in the lower left corner. The building is a large two story brick building with a superstructure on which is engraved Bettman Block. On the side of the building are two large signs reading Olympia Grocery Co Fancy Groceries, and High Flight. Three utility poles are visible. There are 12 second story windows on the front of the hotel and 8 on the side. At the ground level are four thin columns supporting awnings, flanking glass-paned door fronts. To either side of each set of columns are floor to ceiling glass display windows. A small sign jutting out vertically from the building reads "The Willard Hotel". At ground level on the side of the building are three small windows and a side entrance. To the rear of the hotel is a smaller, two story structure. Sidewalks extend on both sides of the hotel and are also visible at the opposite side of the street.